"Be not an abomination to the Bees and Butterflies and then your garden shall know the enchantment

Friday, June 8, 2012

What Do You Have For Breakfast?

My Nana Judy always said that breakfast was her favorite meal of the day.  She was a basic kind of gal in the kitchen but her breakfasts were sublime.   I remember early summer mornings waking up at her house to the smell of fresh coffee and the sizzle of eggs I had gathered from the barnyard chickens the night before. 

To this very day the memory takes me back to a simpler time in my life when the only responsibility I had was to show up to the table when she called.....no matter what time it was!

Fast forward 20+ years......As a working adult I chose to give up starting my day with a healthy breakfast and sacrificed my health and waistline in doing so.  For many people, eating breakfast is an important part of a weight loss diet. Research studies tell us that people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Some experts believe that breakfast keeps your metabolism running higher because skipping meals causes the body to kick into 'starvation' mode. This sounds impressive, but it really isn't what happens -- it takes three or for days of eating nothing before the body starts gearing down your metabolism. It's more likely that people who regularly eat breakfast also make good dietary choices the rest of the day.
 
Since achieving balance between work and life, I have come back to eating breakfast.                Today's South of the Border Omelette was the perfect start of another beautiful day I plan to spend in the garden.  I used the left over taco stuffings from dinner (chopped tomato, red onion & cilantro from the garden, and a little sharp cheddar) to fill the farm fresh fluffy eggs then added a little hot sauce.  Pretty to look at and yummy to eat!

What are some your favorite breakfast foods?









No comments:

Post a Comment